Niggling worries and second childhood

The temperature is dropping and I’m concerned about the boiler. The boiler manual (first time out for this manual) says to drain it for the winter, but I don’t want to be draining then refilling then draining again, as I intend using R0X1 school half terms and hols and maybe the odd weekend. (Just booked sites for the Feb and May half terms, Worcester and the New Forest respectively). Currently I have the boiler running on it’s lowest setting, hopefully that will be enough to keep everything frost free. Should I take her for a spin every couple of weeks to keep the brakes from seizing? I wasn’t supposed to have to worry about stuff like this … keep a space for me in Portugal next winter fellow M’homers!

Worries aside, I took the Smart One out for a spag bol at our favourite Italian on Friday evening, then we went walkabout to see the Xmas tree exhibition and the Christmas market in Twyford. Market less than exciting, all tombolas and tat, apart from our neighbour, known to us as Upstairs Jonathan (to distinguish him from son Jonathan and grandson Jonathan) who was putting on a very untatty juggling/balancing performance, but the trees each decorated by local organisations from the nursery schools to the W.I. were lovely. All massed in the church they made Magic and Sparkle (to coin a well known store’s Christmas ad slogan)

Then this afternoon the Smart One took his Grandmama – well I drove as his feet don’t reach the pedals yet but he told me how as usual – to see Paddington (the movie). I was OK about going, wasn’t expecting much, but what a treat! Hugely funny, mine were not the only very unladylike guffaws, beg pardon. Nicole Kidman hammed it up beautifully as the bad guy. It’s a shame K has a really nasty cold and sore throat and couldn’t come – the Smart One and I will be gutted to have to accompany her when she goes to see it (she really shouldn’t be allowed out on her own). We saw the trailers for the new Aardman – Shaun the Sheep, The Movie, definitely a must see, and for A Night at the Museum 3.

There’s a lot to be said for this second childhood stuff …

🙂 🙂 🙂

7 thoughts on “Niggling worries and second childhood

  1. Hi, I’m a real worrier when it comes to winter and the van – luckily we are in Spain so this year I don’t need to worry. Some boilers come with an automatic dump facility if the temperature drops below 3C, check that out first. Also some vans have a quick dump facility – I’M NOT MAKING ANY RECOMMENDATIONS, JUST SAYING WHAT WE DID! Freezing of your pipes and water tank etc is also a big worry not just the boiler. We used to keep a 1kw oil filled radiator in the van and in very cold weather left it on all the time, especially at night. I know it’s relatively expensive to leave a heater on, but it did help to keep the temperature up and would be a lot cheaper than replacing damaged pipes and tanks. Don’t forget to turn your pump off!!!!! Also think about leaving your taps open and there is also water present in the U bends of your sink etc. Check often for peace of mind!!! Of course that all depends on whether you have your moho parked on your drive. If it is in storage with no electricity then it’s worth draining the whole system to keep you sane.

    1. Thanks for that Wendy, nice to know I’m not paranoid, unless we both are! I’d been thinking about a small electric rad, I’ll probably get one. R0X1 is parked outside so it’s easy to check daily when frost is forecast.
      I’m very envious of your Spanish warmth and sun, enjoy!! 🙂

      1. Yep, I think we are both paranoid. It is definitely a woman thing. As long as you take reasonable care and don’t do something that will make you kick yourself later. Don’t forget 90% of all the things we worry about don’t happen and as my lovely husband says, deal with the other 10% when it does – that must be a man thing!!!

  2. I don’t think you’re paranoid, just being sensible. I know nothing about motor homes, but know enough about cars and engines to know they do not like to be unused for too long….would take ROX for a run every few weeks.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.